Wednesday, January 02, 2013

I am SO hungry!

I couldn't help but come here to say that I am SO hungry. My stomach is literally complaining from the lack of food I think... spurred on by me looking at various food shots of quinoa recipes in my meal-planning research. That, coupled with the family having a Western dinner of fish and chips, chicken chop, fries, coleslaw...all of which I couldn't eat, I literally had to shut my eyes and pray.

I was so sad inside I actually started a list of things that I am going to eat after this whole process in 3 years!

I want some crispy cracklies!
Here's what I have on the list so far:
  1. Claypot rice (the real ones that have that crispy crackly rice on the bottom of the pot)
  2. Crispy Spicy Chicken and Coleslaw at KFC
  3. Cheesey Fish & Chips at Manhattan Fish Market
  4. The seafood platter at Fish & Co.
  5. LOADS of salads. All of them that I love so much!
  6. POTATO CHIPS
  7. Vegetable Fritters
  8. Tempura. SO much tempura of all kinds.
  9. The Ferrero Rocher cake from Four Leaves. SO good.
  10. My favourite baked mochis! I'm going to have SO many, they're going to be a meal by themselves.
  11. Olive bread. Oh, how I miss you!
  12. Hello Pandas. They used to make me so happy! :(
Yeah...I'm going to get SO fat after 3 years of starving. #^_^#

On other notes:
Considering the nutritional properties of quinoa (with its high protein, fibre and calcium content which I need a lot of now), I think it might just become my best friend in terms of food choices for the rest of my life! Tomorrow, I shall ask my househelper to cook this (recipe below) so that I can store portions in the fridge as well to try to meet my daily caloric requirements. Quinoa Mac&Cheese! I knew it existed!

Here's the recipe if you don't want to click in:
I'm going to probably have to soften down the vegetables in the recipe to ensure they are really mushy and more easily edible... but I'm excited to make this happen!

Moni's Mac & Cheese Recipe
Servings: Can serve 6-8
Doesn't it look SO good?!
Ingredients

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 med. leek white and pale green parts halved and sliced (1 cup)-OR chives are fine too
  • 1/2 cup diced tomato, or red/green pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained (OR you can just use pre-cooked and cut back on the water and cooking time)
  • good pinch of salt
  • a few grinds of seasoning salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups of water (or stock)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup soy milk, non-fat milk, or milk of choice
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling- NOTE: (You may find you need more cheese, BUT I use this amount to still keep the dish ‘lighter’ yet very flavorful.)
  • Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
  • Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions (you get the picture)

Directions


  1. Heat oil in med. saucepan over med. heat. Add leek and tomatoes (or bell peppers-or any veggies you want really); cover and cook 5 mins or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3-4 mins, or until grains start to turn opaque.  (They will not fully be cooked yet.)
  2. Add 3 cups water (or stock) and season with salt and the Seasoning Salt (I like Lawry’s or Everyday Seasoning)Cover and reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15-20 mins or more, (depends and also what kind of quinoa you use) or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 mins.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese (if you feel you need more cheese, add here.) Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. (Will seem a little “soupy,” do not worry, it will all mold together.)
  4. Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko crumbs or Bread crumbs, add now. You can also sprinkle a bit more cheese on now if you prefer for topping. Bake 25-35 mins, (or until browned around edges.)
  5. Now you can toss with many toppings, some ideas: salsa, scallions, sour cream,  and hot sauce!  I serve with a side of steamed broccoli or a salad and a nice slice of good hearty bread.
NOTE: Many readers wanted to know how many calories this AMAZING meal has.  Divided into 6 servings:  339 Calories per serving

Oh I'm so hungry now... I can't wait for this to be cooked and tasted in the little confines of the space on my tongue in the back of my mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment