Thursday, January 03, 2013

on surprise comfort food and supplements

It is amazing how the Lord finds ways to tell me He loves me - especially when I least expect it. Last night, was one such example.

Crab Shumais! You still exist! :D
Other than helping me get something really important just 10 minutes to a store's closing time, because of the trip to the store, I just had to drop by the supermarket. It's just a habit, or natural inkling of mine to desire to walk around supermarkets...there's just something very magical and therapeutic about being in a place so varied and yet organized. :D Thing is, other than just a casual walk around, I was also looking for something. It's been a few months now (ever since I've had a drastic lack in appetite due to some stressful life events) that I have been craving for some soft fluffy steaming crab shumais that I used to be able to find at pretty much any supermarket. I've been searching through at least 7 supermarkets around Singapore so far over a couple of months and have not been able to find it! I even thought they discontinued it. It was a sad acceptance that I had to face. No more crab shumais. That, and Quaker's Oatmeal Squares...which always seemed to be out of stock.

The very last box! <3
But last night, I found it! Lookie! And best of all, the crab shumai was on offer at 2 for some discounted price, and it "just so happened" that there were only two left. And the Oatmeal Squares? It was the last box! Especially that I'm finding it difficult nowadays to even hit a 500 calorie daily intake, these finds were a blessing to me. I just knew that God was just being good to me and it was His way of telling me He loved me and cared for me...even in my struggles with my caloric input - both for the reasons of stress, and recently for the limitations of my braces. And yet, I can eat both these foods even with my braces! :D God loves me. <3

Just like baby food 
It's barely been a week and I'm already getting tired of porridge and cheese cubes. This morning, I requested my househelper to add some broccoli and spinach into the porridge as I was craving vegetables so bad and felt so unhealthy without them. And she did such a good job! Only thing was that that fish porridge ended up tasting like broccoli porridge... a little like something my cell group leader's babies used to eat...though I remember those tasting better. Maybe next time I should add in corn or mash sweet potatoes as well.

These days, I've been quite fixated about ensuring that my body still gets the nutrients it needs so I have been scheduling blueberries and raspberries into my diet as well...except that they all have to be chopped down to itty bitty sizes. It's almost impossible to eat a whole blueberry without chewing!

I was expecting it to be an easy decision.
Other than that, I also went out to get the fish oils that I wanted to ensure the health of my hair... but gosh, it was such a confusing selection when I got to the store! There was Alaskan Salmon, Cod Liver Oil, Salmon, Hi-Omega something, Flaxseed... I stood there for a good 10 minutes before I gave up and decided to get some help from the store assistant. Turns out, that only the Flaxseed and Cod Liver Oils were more for the hair and nails, whilst the salmon ones were more for cholesterol regulation and heart health if I remember correctly. I eventually bought the plant-based Flaxseed one (on recommendation from the store assistant), and am going to be trying it out. Hopefully I'll have healthier happier hair by the end of the month. :)

Right now, I've pretty much been pretty interested in supplements to boost my daily intake of nutrients. This is my current regime which I take about two to three times a day. (Makes me kinda feel like an old person taking pills throughout the day, but hey, it's good for my body.)

For my hair, nails, vitality (which I've stopped taking cause it made me feel pukey), and an African Bush Mango aupplement that I've read about and have been trying for a month now.

I'm trying the Kordel's Flaxseed now cause the Blackmore's Nails Hair & Skin hasn't seemed to be doing much for me. And the women's vitality one, I've pretty much shelved because it made me feel pukey. I'll update on the state of my hair at the end of the month...though I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that comparison. #^_^# The African Bush Mango is actually a weight management supplement that I decided to take long before my braces. It was featured on Dr Oz and what I read about it was really interesting so I decided to give it a go. I have been losing weight...but I don't think I can really attribute it to the pill, but more because of my poor appetite and lack of enough calories for the past few months. I'm about to finish the bottle now and will prolly not continue with it... I think my weight is already getting pretty low, and with the marathon training (yes, I'm planning on running a marathon this year) that I'm about to embark on, I think it's going to be pretty rough on my body. I have to remember to write about my marathon training plans one of these days too.

They look like grapes on the inside!
On other notes:
Did you know that the insides of blueberries are NOT blue?! I never knew that cause I always popped them into my mouth whole! Today my househelper cut them up for me so that I can eat them though and it was such an interesting discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment