Friday, March 15, 2013

goal focus

It's amazing how powerful the setting of resolutions can be. I know a ton of people who would diss the idea, and it seems that the new trend nowadays is to set the resolution of not setting any instead. I guess that idea never quite flew for me because I always believed in spending time at the end of a year and charting your desired road ahead; including what steps you'd like to take in reaching that self-actualizing goal... and how fulfilling it would be to know that at the end of the year, you'll be able to look back and really consider all that you've put in for the year - and that your one year of life was well-lived.

This year I've been pretty on-task with my goals. It seems like I've found myself really pushing myself through meeting them one by one, with the desire to see, if not all, then at least 50%-70% of them met. It's quite exciting really to see the little steps that I'm taking to slowly cross them out. I suppose it helps to see them quite frequently on my blogs that I am constantly reminded of them and why they are important to me.

Just two days ago, I got back from a trip to Thailand with some friends - probably something I might not have agreed to if I didn't have the resolution to travel out at least once this year. And today, I signed up for my Bahasa Indonesia class that I've been wanting to go for for a while now. And tomorrow,  I think I'll also send out my volunteer form to KKH for the children's ward to see how I can serve the children there...just like I did a little more than 10 years ago with the children at Assisi Home and Hospice. It's truly amazing to just give your time and love to these children whom, I believe, often have so much more courage than me.

Tomorrow, I'm also going to try to start running. I keep telling myself "tomorrow, tomorrow" and now instead of the "130" days I had on my marathon countdown ticker at the start, I'm left with less than 80 to the marathon and it is more shameful than you can imagine how I have been procrastinating. For the next 3 months, I'm going to shelve everything aside and focus on marathon training. I really want to cross that off the list. I really don't know how I'm going to do it, but I will. No matter how hard, or painful, I will cross that finish line. I have to do it for myself.


Route is out! Time to focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment